Feed A Family is programme facilitated by the Auckland St Vincent de Paul Centre in Newton that seeks to raise awareness and respond to Food Insecurity.
The programme has different components and services.
1. Kanohi ki te kanohi (face to face) and building trust as well as connections with those seeking support and with local advocates.
2. Response: Understanding, advocacy and referral. Support is achieved through practical help and the provision of food boxes which include nutritious cooked meals.
3. Building of Relationships: with those seeking support, other social service providers, school communities, local parishes and donors.
4. Education and Awareness: Sharing the stories and factual information in colleges, church communities and local communities through presentations and mulitmedia.
5. Fundraising and sponsorship: Winter and Christmas Appeals to support families in need.
6. Feed A Family youth food projects: Launching of canned food collections, Cooking projects etc.
Each of these services and opportunities to assist are offered in the hope of bringing our communities closer together, as we are reminded by the Gospels that we are also called to God through our care of one another.